Thursday 28 May 2020

BOOK REVIEW - Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams


Douglas Adams was clearly back on form with this fifth and final book in the trilogy - after what I found to be the deeply disappointing fourth volume.

Most of the regular characters are back, plus a number of new ones. The quirky situations are just as quirky as they were and the one-off characters are funny, humorous and imaginative - and odd. So this is much more like the Hitchhiker concept. As with Book 3, however, there is much less dialogue than before and a lot of descriptive writing. That is fine, but I really did like the dialogue-driven style of the first two books.

I must confess that I found the storyline rather bleak - especially towards the end. I won't give away the surprise ending, but the novel does not end in a happy place. I was not sure how I felt about this. It seemed a shame, given that the novels are very funny, but on the other hand I suppose it served to throw into high relief the underlying humour of the rest of the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment