Sunday, 20 September 2026

War Memorials - Grafton Underwood

  

The village of Grafton Underwood is charming, quiet and small – it has less than 150 inhabitants. But it was not always like this. Back in 1944 Grafton Underwood was the home of a massive American military base. Thousands of servicemen lived here, belonging to the 384th Bombardment Wing of the 8th Air Force of the United States Army Air Force. I had been told that there was a fine memorial to the Americans, and knowing from experience that the American military tend to do things in style, I drove into Grafton Underwood with high hopes. They were not to be disappointed.

A signpost in the village pointed towards the American monument. When I pulled up, I found it was a great stone obelisk standing beside the road. A helpful parking layby had been provided. The obelisk records the fact that the first and last bombs dropped during the Second World War were dropped by aircraft flying from Grafton Underwood. Squadron names and badges emblazon the obelisk and the stone pillars nearby, as do pictures of B17 bombers. Impressive as this is, it is only a tiny part of the memorial. The monument is backed by trees. There are hundreds of them, lining the route of the old runway. Each tree was planted to commemorate one of the men who died flying from this base. It is humbling to see them stretching off into the distance.

Having paid my respects there, I returned to the village church to find the stained glass window that also shows one of the B17 bombers. These were the famous “Flying Fortresses”, or “Forts” that equipped most of the American bomber squadrons flying out of England to bomb the German Reich. Far too many of them failed to return. Grafton Underwood is a fitting tribute to those brave men.

 

 





 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment