Sunday 16 August 2020

BOOK REVIEW - Wetherley Parade by Richmal Crompton

 

I bought this book second hand as I have read other books by this author and enjoyed them. But I'm afraid that I just could not get on with this book. I gave up about half way through.

I found the writing style to be rather prissy, for want of a better word. It was all very proper and reserved. I struggled with the characters. I suppose partly because the author told us what they were like rather than allowing us to work it out for ourselves. And some of it seemed rather formulaic. The teenage boy at public school and his friend who styed in the village. The loyal, dutiful wife and the errant, wayward sister. The returning hero. And not much seemed to happen.

I guess it is more about style and setting than story. You might like it, but I did not. A shame really, as I loved Just William.

No comments:

Post a Comment